Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ad of the Day

The saddest thing about this advertisement, and this is pretty much is as sad as it can get, is that I bought it. That's right, the queen of skeptics and empress of lambasting advertisements actually watched to the end of this bs-fest and craved information about the product. Shoes? Shiny Cars? What fine feature of the consumer world can offer the unofferable and provide knowledge about the unknowable? What is it that can give us truth? Apparently the answer is scientology. Yes, super creepy. I actually saw this while thousands of feet above the Pacific Coast, on TNT no less. I can only hope that this ad made it past the hundreds of others vying for primetime L&O space purely because it was accompanied by the trailer for that new Tom Cruise movie that I have little to no interest in seeing. However it got there, it did it's damage. And it was damaging. I guess when you're trying to trick people into paying for some crazy theories about aliens while maintaining a presentable face and secretly controlling the largest media entity in the world (that's Hollywood folks), campaign strategy is pretty high on the "to-do" list. Mistakes like these happen to the best of us....right? To quote the most epic of children's songs....
"and I hung my head and cried."

1 comment:

  1. Wait, so is my whole world tinted cyan right now and I just don't realize it, or does it only get that way after I join?

    ReplyDelete